Saturday, December 19, 2009

A TRIP TO THE CONCRETE JUNGLE: PART 3

Sorry about the brevity of the last post. Uploading and arranging pictures (and attempting wit) takes time, and I had to take a break since the early morning was sneaking up on me. I also want to apologize (to my one reader...) for the unbearably monotonous and mostly person-less pictures that I've been posting. I can't help it; I looked haggard, tired, and run-down while galavanting around the Big Apple, and a force much greater than myself -- called vanity -- prevents me from posting any unflattering pictures of myself online.

Well, almost.


On Day 2 of NYC, Kristen and I took the ferry to visit Lady Liberty. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time to stay since the last ferry from Liberty Island closed shortly after our arrival, but we were able to take a few proof-we-were-here pictures. I'll never forget the first time I arrived in NYC and the statue was the first recognizable landmark from the air. I became giddy and excited and could no longer focus on the Pharmacology textbook that I had previously been studying. I was in New York City!



It rained on our last full day there. Kristen and I -- wanting to pack only one pair of shoes -- wore matching rain boots the entire trip in anticipation for this one day. Fashion faux pas? Maybe, but I care about fashion misdoings about as much as I care about speed limits.

Which is mostly never.

The boots were also a short-lived conversation piece. At our hostel one evening, we got in the elevator with these two European guys, and it was a rather awkward and silent ride until one of the guys, in his thick accent, pointed out that he and his friend were wearing the same shoes while Kristen and I were as well. We all erupted in laughter and that's about as far as the conversation made it. After all, I'm married, and Kristen was only attracted to the street vendors while we were in NYC.(Okay, that's a complete lie. She did get hit on by a street vendor, but isn't it more fun the other way around?)

Fortunately, the rain was only temporary and, surprisingly, the temperature actually got warmer afterwards, which gave us an opportunity to kick off the ol' hat and gloves and make the most of our last day in NYC.



We purchased tickets at the TKTS stand in Times Square to a 2pm off-Broadway play and then to an 8pm Broadway musical.

The play was okay. I am not sure what I expected, but I will just leave it at that. I will say, however, that the woman who was the lead role in the play was much older than the character she was playing and, at one point, she had a line that stated something like this: "What? Don't I look 40?" And, wouldn't you know that someone in the audience actually replied, "No!" loud enough for everyone to hear. I mean, even the blindest person could have seen that this lady was living vicariously through this character, but c'mon, have some tact, people! And then wouldn't you know that she took one of the guns from the scene and shot the blanks out at the audience.

Well, not really, but that is what I would've done if I were her.


After the play, we had some time to kill before the 8pm show, so we visited the home of the best cupcakes I have ever eaten in my life. (Well, this actually wasn't the first time we visited during our trip, but who's counting anyway...)

They are from the Magnolia Bakery, which some might know from the Sex and the City series. However, who cares about the place. Let's talk about these cupcakes. More specifically, let's talk about the glorious, delectable, endorphin-releasing buttercream icing that will steal the thunder of every cupcake in my future.

This icing is that good, people.




The not-so candid candid photo of me devouring my cupcake. In the words of whoever said them: nom nom nom nom nom


While in a sugar-induced coma, we stumbled over to a Broadway musical called Memphis. It's a love story about a biracial couple in the 50s, and it is great. (Click here if you would like more information) It was very inspirational, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a recommendation.


After the musical, we headed over to a comedy show. Like the play, the show was mediocre, but the most fun part was splurging on "girly" drinks. While not totally blitzed, let me just say that we were the loudest people in the subway station on the way home (at 2 in the morning), professing our BFFship and such. Such a good memory!



While I did not take this picture in our alcohol-influenced subway ride back to Brooklyn, I thought it would be a good place to insert now. (Yes, I am in medical school, and yes, I still think things like this are funny. So what!) You better believe that I was eyeing every subway passenger to see who was trying to discreetly enter the number into their phone for safe-keeping.

Of course, only the ones who were standing would even be in need of such an advertisement. Obviously.



A photo from the subway station near the hostel in Brooklyn.





A photo of us together.


I love this last picture because it will always evoke the following memories for me:

It was 3:30 in the morning as we were leaving Brooklyn to go to the train station to make it to the airport by 7. We had not slept.

In my euphoric, sleep-deprived last moments in NYC, I thought that it would be a marvelous idea to dab on some on red lipstick for the ride home. In retrospect, it looked hideous, which is why the picture is now in black and white.

And mostly, I love this picture because it speaks volumes to me about a beautiful friendship that evolved from one of the most wonderful, traumatic, important, and life-changing events in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment