Thursday, July 30, 2009

A REFLECTION

Today is my last day at the clinic, and, even though I have only been there one month, I am going to miss it. I imagine that my feelings right now are much like those that form during a child’s early developmental milestones. I am both the parent and the child in this scenario; the clinic is the first of the many “baby steps” I will be taking in the long journey of medical training, yet at the same time I am sentimental and nostalgic about the fact that I will not be returning to this place that I have anticipated for so long. This was my very first rotation, and I am going to miss the physicians and the people I have met, no matter how inappropriately sentimental I am being right now.

As much as it saddens me, I understand that it is quite imperative that I move on. I have realized that I practically know absolutely nothing when it comes to the vast amount of information that I am expected to know. And this is no exaggeration or understatement. In fact, if I could convey exactly where I am on the student doctor development map, let’s just say that “I closed a wound with sutures!” is about equivalent to saying “I pooped in the potty like a big girl!” at this point in my career.

I am looking forward to the future and am resolving to be more diligent about studying and reviewing material during free evenings so that maybe -- just maybe -- I will one day get to graduate to big girl panties.

1 comment:

  1. I'm cracking up at your comparison! I just looked over at your google ads and they are all about potty training now! haha!!!!

    ReplyDelete