Sunday, November 15, 2009

A WARM RECIPE FOR A COLD DAY

Before I return to the dark place of long workdays and no internet access , I thought I would share a recipe that is a favorite in the Evans' household.

This isn't the healthiest of soup, but it is oh-so-good! If you are going to go out to eat it, why not at home?

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients:
-- 1/2 cup butter
-- 1 onion, chopped
-- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli (I use 2 packages because I love broccoli!)
-- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth (I use Knorr's veggie broth cubes to make a vegetable broth)
-- 1 (1 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed
-- 2 cups milk
-- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
-- 2/3 cup cornstarch
-- 1 cup water

Instructions:
1. In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. (I simmer a bit longer until the broccoli is tender and mash the broccoli into smaller pieces)
2. Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.
3. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.

And, last but not least, serve with a fresh salad (spinach, apples, pecans, and feta tossed in a light balsamic viniagrette is one of my favorites!), and some delicious, crispy bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment