Sunday, November 15, 2009

WHEN I GROW UP...

I think that I’ve reached my threshold this month. I say this because I am experiencing a feeling that flares up each time I think of having to stay yet another week away from home. Sadness mixed with a little dread, maybe?

I am not enjoying this month’s rotation as much as I have previous months. Being away from home for the second month in a row is a definite contributor, but I suspect that the environment is playing a larger role in my discontentment. And by environment, I mean the Family Practice clinic at which I am working/learning.

Until recently, I was heavily considering the avenue of Family Practice. However, after experiencing three months of this specialty at various locations, I am finding that it is not enough to keep me excited about the job. In short – and I realize that this revelation could be self-incriminating (especially if I do end up in Family Practice. Ha!) – I think that it is boring.

This realization started to sneak up on me during my Pediatrics rotation, particularly while working in the clinic, and I definitely felt twinges last month. You see, in these clinical settings, a lot of things that are seen are very repetitious. In Pediatrics, my clinical experience could be summarized by an onslaught of upper respiratory infections and well-child checks. (Stop @&#!! smoking around your children!!!!) And I think I could summarize my Family Practice experiences as such: medication refills and (most of the time, futile) counseling about diabetes management, diet, and exercise to grossly overweight individuals who think that walking to their car qualifies as a cardio. I find it monotonous and can finally acknowledge that, if I want to maintain my sanity, I am going to have to see what else is out there.

And so this leads me to further assess what I do/do not like doing.

I like to suture. A lot.

I enjoy performing minor procedures. (The few I have done, at least.)

I have mixed feelings about OB/GYN, but I’m pretty sure that the negative feelings override the positive ones. Beautiful, OMG-inducing, and a surefire advertisement (for me, at least) to eat birth control pills like candy.

I'm thinking that I am going to have to go on a date with Emergency Medicine.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! I can't believe you had so many out of town rotations in a row. poor you, jeremy and the dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete