Monday, January 25, 2010

IN A NUTSHELL

This past month, I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to work ten-plus hour workdays without the luxury of a lunch break. I do take a lunch, but each day I quickly shove it down the gullet in few minute intervals between patients. I also keep a few pretzels or almonds in my white coat to sneak whenever my stomach protests. By the end of the day, my stomach and my feet are pretty pissed at me. Optimism (I truly wouldn’t rather be doing anything else!) and pep talks have helped significantly, not to mention that this upcoming week is my last week. Woo-hoo!



Remember when I took boards way the heck back in June? Well, I had a freak-out moment/epiphany in December and decided that I needed to take another set of board exams that I originally chose not to take. In short, there are two versions of the test. I took the one required by my school, though there is another one that the allopathic/M.D. students take. It could potentially increase my residency options, thus I am slaving away each weeknight (after my long day) and weekend as I once again have to pass on much more preferable and fun activities to study. Clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk. (That’s the sound of my head banging on my desk.)


When Jerm and I considered home-ownership in our neighborhood, little did we know that the picket fence came with a lovely homeowners’ association (HOA). If you aren't familiar with the term, it is an organization that upholds the rules and regulations (so eloquently coined "covenants") of the neighborhood and provides funding for maintenance that the city does not otherwise provide (funding provided via an annual fee that each household is expected to pay). As of last Tuesday (the 19th), our Christmas lights were still up. Combine an HOA with a social networking site (Facebook), and you get lovely messages such as these:

“I know that the weather is not the best and the forecast is more cold. But a reminder that our Holiday decorations need to be down soon per the covenants.”

“Just another reminder: today being the 18th it is now a violation of our covenants if you still have Holiday decorations and lights still up... Please pass this on to your neighbor if they still have them up. Shelli will be out soon for inspections…”

Apparently, it is okay to put Christmas lights up a month before the holiday but entirely unacceptable to keep them up once January rolls around. In the midst of freezing weather, a thirty-five minute one-way commute, and long workdays, I am glad to have the HOA to help keep my priorities straight. Thanks, HO! I mean HOA...



On a final note, Wednesdays of this month have been entirely devoted to nursing home/hospice care. My experience has been an interesting and humbling one. Many of the patients are demented (The individual on the right, for example, insisted that maintenance stole his scooter. Notice what he's sitting on?) and completely dependent on others for daily activities of living that you or I wouldn't think twice about doing ourselves. I took this picture (not sure if it's legit, but I don't think there are any confidentiality issues here) because it is an image that I have seen often in the few days that I have spent at the nursing home.

I am reminded that no matter how bad my feet hurt or how painfully hungry I am at the end of the day, or how miserable I am from staring at a book hours and hours upon end without seemingly learning a single thing, I have my health, the company of loved-ones, and I am able to go outside whenever I want.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment