Saturday, January 30, 2010

KETCHUP BLOG

The no-blogging trend of the past week will continue into this next week (Is it me or do I sound like a weather-woman here?), primarily because I begin a new rotation on Monday and also because I will be taking my test one week from today. Starting today, all free time equals study time, with a little time set aside for regression to child-like behaviors.

Thankfully, I was never a bed-wetter.

This past week was interesting. Interesting because I stayed the night with a Physician Assistant that worked in the clinic where I was rotating in order to save time and gas. Interesting because a predicted-but-not-yet-here winter storm caused rescheduling of a test and cancellation of an academic lecture series I was supposed to attend this weekend. Interesting because of possible new developments in the Evans’ household. Interesting because even though it was sixty-degrees on Wednesday, Mother Nature had a mood swing and dumped a nice layer of ice on us, followed by six-to-seven inches of snow.

I had the fortune of having this past Monday off, mainly because I volunteered to work two days at our school-sponsored clinic in December when I was on vacation. In exchange, I was able to choose a day to take off in January. The timing couldn’t have been more perfect, and I utilized the time to (drumroll please…) study.

On Tuesday, I packed up my stuff for an intended two-night stay at the home of the PA who also works in the clinic. On nursing home days, she and I would work together most of the day while the doctor attended meetings and whatever else, and we sort-of bonded in this period. In an effort to help reduce my commute and maximize study time, she invited me to stay at her house for a couple of days. Though hesitant, I couldn’t resist on grounds of practicality. After all, Jerm and I are on a newly strict budget, and the gas savings alone were tempting enough.

That evening, we miraculously finished clinic earlier than any day in the entire month, but the PA still had some work to do before we could head to her house. I thought I would use the time to run to the local Dollar Store to pick up some toothpaste, and upon mentioning this to her, she asked if I would stop by the grocery store to pick up a few groceries. While I agreed and took her money and shopping list willingly, I was irritated beyond words. (Well, actually, I had more than a few choice words to say about it. I had accepted her offer to save time, not to run her freaking errands!) By the time I circled the foreign grocery store a million times looking for the things she needed, twenty minutes had been wasted. Add another twenty-minutes of increasing frustration waiting in line, and you get, “I could have freaking been home by now!” Though I partially wanted to whimper and curl up in the fetal position, I couldn’t help but recognize the humor of the situation. It was funny in an incredulous, twisted humor, of-course-this-would-happen-to-me kind of way. And besides, what else could I do?

As it turned out, accepting her offer turned out to be a great idea. She had generously cleaned up her office for me to use, and I was able to hibernate and study the rest of the evening. At one point, I started to get deliriously tired (you know, the tired where your eye lids start to get really heavy and the words you read don’t make sense because you are stuck think-dreaming somewhere between consciousness and sleep), but I snapped out of it, fixed some tea, and got back to work. If I were at home, I would have justified not studying with tiredness which would have resulted in an unnecessary nap or some mindless television time. (Dang American Idol auditions suck me in every time…) In addition, the PA is a really cool person, and we have some common interests. I guess that picking up her groceries was the least I could do for a night’s stay and a warm shower.

Wednesday was nursing home day, and I had mentally prepared myself for the longevity. However, I received a phone call from a school official early in the day telling me that our test for the upcoming Friday had been rescheduled secondary to forecasted inclement weather, and that I was to arrive at the school by three pm that day to take it. While I had enjoyed my nursing home experiences, this was an absolute gift. I also was instructed that the academic conferences we were expected to attend for the upcoming weekend had transitioned from mandatory to optional. I cannot explain how fortunate and wonderful this is. While I did work a half-day on Thursday, these changes have bought me wonderful and glorious time.

Time to study , which is great considering that I study best when I have long blocks of time to focus on the subject matter at hand.

Time to blog, which is great because I haven’t all week. (and likely will not until after next Saturday...)

Here's lifting my orange juice glass (no vodka or champagne, unfortunately..)to a safe and productive week!

No comments:

Post a Comment