Thursday, January 14, 2010

THAT'S MY MAN

I tried to get Jerm to do a cameo piece on the blog, but I am interpreting his silence on the matter as a polite refusal. It was a risk anyhow, considering that he started a blog several months ago and his second and last ever blog was titled “Sharting to the Oldies”.

Yep, that’s my man.

In spite of its totally refined and tasteful title, the blog was insightful and very pertinent to some drastic changes that are taking place in our life right now. A specific excerpt comes to mind:

“Today is one of those days where I wonder how I even got into the auditing biz. I'm looking out the window thinking how cool it would be to jump and free fall til about 5 o'clock. I would then land on my feet, go for a quick jog, and then go on enjoying life.”

Except for the humorous piece about going for a quick jog ( nothing like a good work-out in the middle of a fantasy...), his revelation is something that he’s been saying over and over for the past year or so: it’s time to experiment with a career change.

More specifically, it’s time to experiment with a career change from accounting to teaching.

So.

As of last Friday, Jerm quit his secure job with a prominent accounting firm to pursue a career that is currently experiencing a hiring-freeze and is even asking for volunteer substitutes (at least in our state).

Yep, that’s my man.

I’m not going to lie – this past month has been a little bumpy and tearful at times. I have been supportive but not without reservations. After all, I am a student who is required to have medical insurance, and we just purchased our first home. Though I like to promote a cool, laid-back exterior, I am sometimes more high-strung than I like to admit, especially during times of dramatic change and/or acclimation (hellooooo, med school!).

As much as I’ve had my reservations and concerns, however, I think it is time to give Jerm some credit. We had discussed the career change as a potential option in the distant future (little did I know!), and he stepped up to the plate early last year and began the process of attaining his alternative teaching certifications in Math and Business. As soon as we agreed that it would be best for him to quit his job to gain some experience in a classroom-setting, he immediately applied for substitute and tutoring positions at local schools and learning centers.

He had his first substituting experience today and will have his second tomorrow. (It was a computer class and his responsibilities were quite minimal, but I think he enjoyed it. He will be “teaching” a junior high vocal class tomorrow, which should be very interesting.) In addition, he also discovered that he has been hired for a twelve week substitute position while a teacher is on maternity leave, which is truly wonderful.

My heart and respiratory rates are slowly returning to normal.


Earlier this week, Jerm had a few days off. Like a good and doting househusband (as I like to now call him), he kindly washed some dishes, washed and folded a few loads of laundry, and he even took down our tree and holiday stuff. At one point, I texted him to ask how things were going, only to receive this response:

“Pretty good. Watched Wendy Wiliams, Ellen, the Today Show, and now Teen Mom. Did some dishes, took the tree down, and switched some laundry out. I think I am growing a vagina…”


Yep, that’s my man.

No comments:

Post a Comment