Friday, June 12, 2009

KIDDO DAY AT THE EVANS' HOUSEHOLD

Let’ see…what have I been doing since my last post on Tuesday? Well, Wednesday I visited a friend from college who has just had her first baby and lives locally. I hadn’t seen or talked to her in a long time and so it was good to see her and her little one. Wednesday evening, Jerm and I had dinner with my grandparents to celebrate a few birthdays between the four of us. My grandmother gave me a really cute yard decoration to hang some flowers on with a hanging basket of impatiens. I will post a picture of those once I decide exactly where I want them to go.

Thursday was the beginning of an adventure that has lasted the past two days. That morning, I got up early to run and then went bowling with my mom and the kiddos around 10:30 a.m. The kiddos are her husband’s children; they are 4 and 5 and the reason that the past two days have been jam-packed full of kiddo initiated non-dull moments. If you remember from a previous post, I mentioned that they were going to spend a night with us.

So the kiddos came over Thursday afternoon and we went swimming in the pool in my neighborhood (funded by those lovely homeowner's association fees we pay). It was my first time going, and I must say that it is nicer then I imagined, with plenty of space and chairs for lounging. It even has this cool kid-friendly whale tail looking thing that showers water on those who stand below it, as well as a bucket that dumps water on the person standing below it. That is probably not the greatest description, and I don't even have pictures to confirm this; however, I wanted to mention that, at one point, I heard Kiddo A saying to Kiddo B, "We have to go take a dump now!", referring to the cool water-dumping thing.

After the pool excursion, it was time to go back to the house and make homemade pizza for dinner. I let each kiddo roll out their own dough courtesy of Pillsbury pizza dough in a can, put their own sauce on the pizza, as well as the toppings and cheese. Here are a few pictures from our pizza adventure.

This is Kiddo B. He is cute and ornery and, yes, that is pizza sauce on his face.


Cheezin' it up!


This is Kiddo A. Isn't she sweet?


Ta-da! The finished products before they were devoured. In fact, Kiddo B ate FOUR pieces!


After dinner..a little mischief...


...and then the kiddos and I all got in our "jammies" and headed out to the drive-in movies to see...drumroll please...Up and Hanna Montana!

Kiddo B fell asleep almost instantaneously. I thought for sure that both would be sleeping by the time Hannah came on, but Kiddo A LOVES Hannah Montana and was actually awake for the movie. I suspect that she was drifting in and out of almost-sleep, but she would magically open her eyes or laugh out loud each time I tried to see if she was sleeping so I could sneak up to the driver's seat. So we stayed until the end and were all sleeping at that point.

Friday morning, I woke up before both kiddos and seized the opportunity to practice my future mom skills. I used a variety of cookie cutters to make shaped pancakes, which resulted in a few burnt fingers and, most importantly, these cute little things.



Both kiddos loved them, but I think, deep down, I loved them just a little bit more.

Unfortunately, thunder storms kept us in the house most of the morning and afternoon. This meant screaming kiddos chasing two dogs all around the house for most of the morning, with me trying to distract them with a few movies in between. The poor dogs didn't know what to do about these two little strangers who had invaded their personal space -- especially Lucy -- and they retreated to any hiding space that would afford them some distance away from the tugging and pulling and screaming. I took this picture of Lucy hiding in the office in a very small space between our desks. Poor baby!


The kiddos left a few hours ago, and I am finding that a feeling of relief has accompanied the quiet that has been restored to our household. At the same time, however, I kind of miss the noise.

Okay, okay...I miss the kiddos.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment