Sunday, August 16, 2009

WEEKEND UPDATE

Thursday was a rather unusual day. The physician I am rotating with had a cancellation which cleared her schedule from 10:30 until 1:00, and so she encouraged me to use the time as I needed. I decided to have lunch with Jerm, which was fun and all, but the real gem of the day was my finding this lovely treasure at Hobby Lobby. I saw it recently and fell entirely head over heels in love with it. It was on sale for 50% off at the time, but any Hobby Lobby aficionado knows that even paying 50% is basically like paying full price because everything is always on sale at one time or another.
On Thursday, however, I had an hour to burn until I had to be back at the clinic and decided to stop by Hobby Lobby “just to look”. (Let’s be honest...“just to look” is basically just an invitation for a binge purchase.) I happened to walk by the display and saw that it was now 66% off. Oh, happy day!


Unfortunately, the triumphant purchase of the day was overshadowed by a much more serious and emotional event. Jerm’s grandmother had a stroke and was transported to a local hospital. She was admitted, and things were pretty scary for us that evening. However, she improved dramatically over the next few days and was able to go home Saturday afternoon. It is because of this amazing improvement that I am able to mention it ever-so casually on this blog. I am so very, very thankful.

Friday evening, Jerm and I ran in a 5K run for United Way. The company he works for paid for our entry so all we had to do was show up. I was a little nervous because my activity level has steeply declined since Jerm’s ankle sprain. (Excuses, excuses…) He hobbled his way through the course, and I surprisingly felt great. It was a good night to burn off some Bluebell. (By the way, there is a coupon for $1.00 off a half-gallon at bluebell.com for anyone who is interested…) Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and have no pictures of this event. (Surprise, surprise...)

Saturday Jerm and I spent the most significant part of our day at the hospital visiting his grandmother, but I did manage to fall in love with a little pink-outfitted gadget that I met that day. I didn’t think that I wanted her at first, but I think that she is growing on me rather quickly.


Today, I got up early and headed over to Riverside to meet Kristen for a nice leisurely and leg-burning bike ride. I am not sure if anyone is aware, but St. Francis rents out free bicycles via an automated system that uses a credit card for collateral. They have stations at both 21st and 41s and there is no charge if you return the bike within 24-hours. It seemed like a lot of the bikes were unavailable to rent and some of them appeared rusty, but we managed to eventually find two that were in working order and they rode smoothly.


Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Ty and I have rented those bikes before. It was so much fun! I'm glad J's grandma got to go home and is doing much better.

    ReplyDelete