Monday, May 11, 2009

ALL IN A DAY'S DAY

Today, Crystalle:
a. Woke up at 4:30-ish
b. Studied
c. Ate cheeseburger casserole
d. Ate decadent caramel apples drizzled with a bit of Ghirardelli milk chocolate
e. Studied some more

Jerm flew to Houston this morning for work-related training, so I did what any loving, caring, doting, wonderful, awesome, fantabulous, and spectacular wife would do and drove him to the airport at 4:30 ante meridiem. My only words during our trip there: “I would tell you how much I am going to miss you but I am too tired to talk right now.”

And I do miss him, even though his being gone is allowing me boat-loads of study time.


Kristen came over pretty early and most of the rest of the day was spent studying, but we did manage to make a very tasty and improvised dinner based on my goals to use ingredients that I have here at the house. I have a very bad habit of planning meals around preference instead of what is stocked in the pantry and so I am trying to use more of the food I have before going grocery shopping again.

This is what we came up with:



CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE:
Approx ½ to ¾ lb of ground beef or ground beef substitute, such as Morning Star : )
½ of a medium sized onion, finely chopped
1/4 to 2/3 c. of chopped pickles
~ 3 tbs of mustard
~1 tbs of mayo
Cavender’s salt-free Greek seasoning, to taste
Seasoned salt, to taste
~ ½ c. shredded cheddar (Or any kind you have on hand)
Tater tots

Brown and drain beef. Throw in onions until cooked through. Add pickles, mustard, mayo, Greek seasoning, seasoned salt and stir. Pour into a casserole dish and top with tater tots and cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

Now, I am not claiming that this is an original idea, but improvised meals usually turn out to be my favorites and this was no exception. It was mighty tasty and took very little prep time. I am going to have to add it to my recipe stash, filed under ‘Quick and easy and kid friendly'.

We also had caramel apples fitting the description above.

Oh wait, you want to see them?

Okay, here you go:



Apples, caramel, chocolate, and walnuts. Yum-in-my-tum!

It sure makes studying a little bit more bearable.

1 comment:

  1. Now you're making my hungry. Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete