Saturday, October 3, 2009

HAPPY FALL!

For me, fall signals the end of the warm temperatures of summer and serves as a short-lived reminder that winter will soon be around the corner. Since owning a home, a new element has been introduced: the warm smell of pumpkin spice candles and fall decorations.











Friday, Kristen came over for the first annual Evans' household pumpkin carving. We searched for carving patterns online; she went with a Scooby-Doo face (on the left) while I opted for a scene with two trees -- one with an owl perched on a branch -- and a full moon. I drew my pattern on with a fine-tip sharpie, though it looks blank.


Pumpkin guts!


Lucy sun-bathed and watched us from a distance.


Maisie thought she would sample a taste of the pumpkin in between her annoying, incessant attempts to remind us that the true reason we were outside was to play fetch.


Kristen working diligently at carving. I think we both have calluses on our hands to prove that the $1.00 pumpkin carving kit wasn't quite the steal we thought we were getting.

As I slaved away at carving, I started to realize that maybe my picture was overly-ambitious. I began to question the integrity of a hollowed-out pumpkin when my perched owl began to sag on his lonesome branch.

After my owl and branch fell, the tree on the right decided it too wanted to leave the pumpkin forest.

And so I had to perform a pumpkinectomy.

Then, as I smugly tried to carve a leaf "free style", this is what I got. Ha!

Scooby was the lone survivor. Kristen graciously offered to let him stay at our house and so he has a new home on the front porch.


No comments:

Post a Comment