Sunday, October 25, 2009

PAINTING AND MARRIAGE....

Yesterday, Jerm and I made an impromptu decision to paint an accent wall in our living room.

Our decision was based on the criterion that we wanted to do something productive without having to address hygiene issues or change out of our pajamas. After all, it was 3pm and we figured that we could totally pull off the I-look-like-crap-because-I-am-doing-productive-housework-as-evidenced-by-the-painting-supplies-in-my-cart look at Lowe’s. (At least that’s what I told myself as I darted around every aisle trying to avoid eye contact with any passerby.)

As is turns out, “Hey, let’s paint!” is about as good of a suggestion as, “Hey, let's insult each other all day!“ or “Hey, let’s kill each other!". At least things would have been more straightforward with the latter two.

And it all started with this.

"Edge Like a Pro" and "Eliminates taping!" were all my subconscious needed before my hand involuntarily reached for this and placed it in the cart.

However, things didn't go quite as planned. Let me just summarize my experience for you: Edge like a pro, my ass!

But that's not all....

After you’ve been dating/married for a combination of 9 years, “Did you read the directions?” translates into “You're an idiot!” And it’s not so much the literal translation but the tone with which it is conveyed that results in a reciprocated look that asks, “Do you value your life?”

And this is the point when a malfunctioning edger plays a minor role in the completion of a seemingly innocent paint project. Because, after all, a painting project takes a little bit longer when there is only one person painting.

Eventually,however, the realization that things will drastically improve with the completion of the project prompt reunification.

And once things are finished, you both take a step back to admire your work, smile, hug, high-five, apologize profusely...



...and then swear that you will never do that again.

1 comment:

  1. I love the color you all chose! It's a miracle when Ty and I finish a project without a fight.

    ReplyDelete