Thursday, October 15, 2009

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT WHEN...

Your bra comes unsnapped in the middle of your first vaginal delivery. Apparently, there are uses for sports bras other than physical activity.

Then again, I think I'd qualify giving birth as a sport.
**************************************************************************************

You get to clip the gnarly toenails of a severely obese patient who is unable to do it. And you don’t use “normal” nail clippers but instead something that resembles these:

You manually lift the patient's legs on your lap and, as you think that maybe a small piece found its way into your mouth, you can't help but reflect on this glorious moment: “This is totally why I went to med school...”
***************************************************************************************

You realize that you are probably destined to one day be desensitized to the following:

Smells. Olfaction may very well be over-rated.

The colorful nouns and adjectives that patients use to describe anatomical parts and such. Let me just say that "junk" and "package" are some of the milder terms I've heard. I somehow think that this may always both shock and humor me.

Screaming babies. Little do these guys know that my looking into their ears is a minimal offense compared to the immunizations that are waiting for them at the end of their visit.

Smells. Smells. Smells.
**************************************************************************************

The physician you are rotating with says, “Okay, I sometimes get ECG and EKG confused. Are those the same thing?” You reassure him with a hearty nod. And then he continues, “Now, how does an EKG differ from an EEG?” Eager to help him sort out such a quandary, you dutifully explain. Yet he keeps on. “Okay, now what is an EGG?” As a third year medical student, there are things in the vast medical realm that have yet to be learned. This EGG is new to you, and so you reply, “I don’t know.” The physician then quickly recalls and explains to his enthusiastic student, “An egg!” He makes sure to cackle after enlightening you.

And then you think, “Wow, he pretty much just called me a jackass without actually saying it.”

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a grand ol' time on your rotation! I'm still laughing about the EGG. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet he thought that was the funniest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete