Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A WINDOW TOUR OF ELK CITY

I've not gotten a chance to roam around this ol' town yet, but I thought I would do a drive-by photo shoot to give you a personable and thorough tour through my eyes as I have seen it: from the windows of my car.

This sign is a little bit on the outskirts of the town, and it is blurry because I felt that I could go no slower than thirty miles under the speed limit. It reads, "Welcome to Elk City".


If you are like me, you wonder, "How the heck did this town get its name?" Well, thanks to Wikipedia, I discovered that its namesake is due to its location when the town was founded. Apparently, the town originally existed at the head of a creek called Elk Creek, coined due to a sighting of elk tracks back in the early twentieth century. Over time, no elk were seen but the name stuck and, appropriately, the town boasts a statue of what I assume is an elk.

Heck, someone could tell me this was a moose, and I wouldn't know the difference.

Now, I probably should "get my kick" from the "Historic Route 66"...

But, honestly, I am more interested in two establishments here in town:

One -- this Wal-mart is not a supercenter yet. I didn't think these existed anymore. Word on the street is that there are plans for one to be built in the upcoming year.

Figures.


Two -- check out this Braum's. Apparently, this is the company's newest model. I guess they are trying to separate their dining section from their grocery store, but, to me, it looks like fast-food-meets-Golden Corral.


The town hosts several museums, and I think that they are all located in this one section of town. Per the town's website,I have my choice between the National Route 66 Museum, Old Town Museum, Transportation Museum, Farm and Ranch Museum, and the Blacksmith Museum. This actually looks like it would be a neat place to visit,and -- if the online prices are current -- one can visit all for $5.00. That's a steal!




Most of my evenings here are spent at this gym. (The sign was the best representation I could get; the actual building is hidden behind some trees and shrubbery...) I was reluctant to join for a month because the price was too expensive, but I caved in because I hate running in the rain and cold and my goal this month was to get back into the habit of running. This has turned out to be a good decision because it gives me something to do, and I am feeling really great afterward.


Anyone want to come visit?

After all, I have a couch in my hospital room. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment